HUDSON, Wis. — Just 45 minutes away from the Twin Cities metro and across the St. Croix River, one barbeque roadhouse is creating a dining experience like none other in Wisconsin.
Big Guys BBQ Roadhouse in Hudson, Wisconsin brings together the freshest ingredients, prime cuts of meat and smoked BBQ to make a remarkable experience.
The owners of the roadhouse, Jethro and Amy Lund joined KARE11 Saturday to discuss what makes their BBQ and side dishes so unique and how they've become a destination for everything from weddings to conferences.
Since growing up on a pig farm as a child, Jethro has mastered butchering pigs and roasting pork. After opening up his own restaurant in 2015, people have been packing into his roadhouse to get a piece of his BBQ and enjoy some of his best dishes, like his addictive candy bacon.
It isn't just his slow smoked St. Louis style ribs and signature house rub that brings people into Big Guys BBQ Roadhouse, Jethro has also created stand-out sides, like his smoky slaw, Szechuan green beans and smoked gouda mac and cheese.
Big Guys BBQ Smoky Slaw Recipe
- 2.5 Pounds Purple Cabbage
- 1.25 Pounds Green Cabbage
- Quarter fine diced Red Onion
- 1 fined diced Jalapeño
- 1 Cup Mayo
- Half Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Tablespoon Cayenne
- 1/8 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 Tablespoon White Pepper
- Quarter Cup of Secret Ingredient / Love
- Quarter Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Ounces of Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Quarter Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Pound of Chopped Bacon (Raw Weight)
- Half Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- Smoke Cabbage ( and blue cheese, not sure if you want to tell them that) at 90 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool
- Combine all ingredients in the recipe, except for the cabbage
- Put cabbage in a bowl and mix dressing until creamy and incorporated
- Refrigerate for at least an hour
- Serve with your favorite BBQ Protein or on its own.
Watch more KARE11 Saturday:
Watch the latest coverage from the KARE11 Saturday in our YouTube playlist: