GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — Let’s get baking! Young television stars and kids from the Way Cool Cooking School will be taking over the Mall of America's Rotunda on Saturday, Nov. 9 to show off their skills.
Watch baking demonstrations from local baking talents Paige Goehner and Meadow Roberts, as well as receive cooking tips from Master Chef Junior competitor Ariana Feygin. Once the baking and cooking is complete, stick around for a chance to meet all three stars during an exclusive meet and greet!
TOMATO AND BURRATA SALAD
- 16 oz Tomatoes (your favorite variety)
- 1 Medium Cucumber, small diced
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- 4 Spheres Burrata
- Basil (torn by hand or cut into thin ribbons)
- Black Truffle Oil (to taste)
1. Quarter tomatoes and add to a large mixing bowl with diced cucumber. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and toss to coat completely.
2. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle with truffle oil and add basil, mixing gently to incorporate.
3. Place the burrata sphere in the center of the plate and season with salt and pepper. Arrange tomatoes around burrata, and drizzle tomatoes with residual balsamic liquid. Finish with extra basil.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Place paper cupcake holders in muffin pans.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. All-purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well using a whisk.
- Now add milk, eggs, oil, butter and vanilla essence. Beat on slow speed until combined, with hand mixer or use a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Gradually add hot water and mix until smooth.
- Pour evenly into the prepared cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a pre-heated oven or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meadow uses a basic buttercream recipe from powdered sugar, softened butter, milk and vanilla. To make chocolate, you add cocoa.
Candies and cookies used include: Candy Corn, googly eye candy and Nutter Butter cookies.