MINNEAPOLIS — Midtown Global Market is an internationally-themed public marketplace offering groceries, great food and unique gifts.
On Saturday, Oct. 26, the market will host its 13th annual Global Chili Cook-Off.
A $5 donation will be requested with proceeds benefiting Doing Good Together, a local nonprofit organization that empowers families to raise children who care and contribute.
Doing Good Together aims to work toward creating a world in which sharing kindness and helping others is a routine part of family life.
Salsa a la Salsa is one of several competitors in the Global Chili Cook-Off.
Salsa a la Salsa Mexican is a restaurant and bar located within Midtown Global Market. It specializes in Mexican food with traditional recipes, authentic ingredients and savory sauces.
Midtown Global Market, owned by two non-profit entities: the Cultural Wellness Center and the Neighborhood Development Center, serves as a small business incubator whose mission is to provide access and opportunity for aspiring entrepreneurs.
For information, please visit Midtown Global Market's website.
SALSA A LA SALSA'S CHILI CASERO RECIPE
- ½ CUP CORN OIL
- 1 LB CHOPPED ONIONS
- 1 LB CHORIZO
- 2 LBS GROUND CHUCK ROLL
- 6 LBS FRESH CHOPPED TOMATOES
- 2 TBS CHOPPED FRESH GARLIC
- 2 SERRANO PEPPERS- CHOPPED
- 1/3 CUP CUMIN
- 1 CUP CHILE GUAJILLO
- ¼ CUP DIJON GRAINY MUSTARD
- 1 ½ BUNCH FRESH CILANTRO
- 2 OZ FRESH BASIL
- 2 OZ FRESH OREGANO
- 2 OZ FRESH THYME
- ¼ CUP FRESH EPAZOTE
- ¼ CUP FRESH CHOPPED PARSLEY
- 1 CUP RED WINE
- 2 TBS FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 1.5 TBS GRUND BLACK PEPPER
- SALT TO TASTE
- 3 LBS COOKED PINTO BEANS
- In a large pot, heat oil, cook onions and garlic.
- Add chorizo and beef until meats are well browned.
- Add wine and lemon juice. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mustard, herbs and spices. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and add beans. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with cheese and onions.