In Bloom offers fine Northern cuisine that celebrates the deep connection that Minnesotans have to the land. Natural, seasonal and wild ingredients such as fresh water fish, shellfish, fowl, game meats, produce and foraged foods are expressed through fire, without benefit of any gas or electricity, utilizing time-honored techniques including flame-basting, salt-crusting and string-roasting. Fueled by burning oak, the 18’ x 20’ hearth, custom-designed by Chef Boemer, uses various aromatics such as plum wood, hickory and vine clippings to subtly enhance the flavor profiles of his wood-fire dishes.
FLAME-BASTED SKULL ISLAND PRAWNS by Chef Thomas Boemer
4 ea U8 skull Island Prawn
1 Lb butter, unsalted
1 tbl paprika
1 ea clove garlic
4 ea large russet potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbl salt
¼ tsp nutmeg (or grate fresh)
1. Peel shrimp tails leaving head attached.
2. Cut 1/8th inch deep down the back of the tail to expose vein and remove.
3. Add all shells, garlic, and butter to medium sauce pot and cook over medium low heat until all water from the butter has evaporated being careful not to brown the butter.
4. Strain and cool in refrigerator.
5. Cook potatoes and rice them using fine attachment.
6. Bring cream, ½ of the salt, and nutmeg just to a simmer, then remove from heat.
7. Whisk in riced potato and pass them through the fine strainer.
8. Add to whipping cream syphon and charge with one cartridge.
9. Grill prawn 2 to 3 min on each side and add shellfish butter together in pan to finish.