Power up your big game weekend or start your work week off right with power bowls! Hy-Vee Savage Registered Dietitian Melissa Jaeger, RD, LD will show you how to create the perfect power bowls for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Combining carbohydrates, fats and protein in each bowl helps keep you energized and satisfied throughout the day. To help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and reach your 2019 goals, your Hy-Vee dietitian offers a variety of health services including store nutrition tours and our 10-week Begin™ program. For additional information, reach out to your local Hy-Vee dietitian.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
All you need:
1 banana, peeled and frozen
1 scoop Vanilla Bean Performance Inspired Performance Whey Protein
1 single-serve container non-fat vanilla or strawberry Greek yogurt
½ cup sliced strawberries
2 tbsp sliced almonds
1 tsp chia or hemp seeds
All you do:
1. Blend banana, whey protein powder and yogurt until smooth. Pour into two bowls.
2. Top with sliced strawberries, almonds and chia or hemp seeds. Add additional toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 250 calories, 4.5g fat, 90mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 22g protein.
Daily values: 45% vitamin C, 15% calcium.
Lemon Chicken Quinoa Bowl
All you need:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp lemon zest, divided
½ cup lemon juice, divided
2/3 cup olive oil, divided
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning; plus additional for serving; divided
2 tsp honey
1 cup dry tricolor quinoa
2 cups No Salt Added or Reduced Sodium chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets
6 cups lightly packed arugula
2 cups halved red or yellow cherry tomatoes
½ seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
Chopped fresh lemon, for garnish
Crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
Nonstick cooking spray
All you do:
1. Lightly pound chicken to an even thickness with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Place chicken in a gallon-size plastic bag. Combine 2 tsp lemon zest, ¼ cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, oregano and ¼ tsp lemon-pepper seasoning in a small bowl. Pour marinade over chicken; seal bag. Turn bag to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.
2. Whisk together remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, remaining ¼ cup lemon juice, remaining 1/8 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning and honey in a small bowl to make a vinaigrette. Set aside.
3. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Rinse under cold running water; drain well. Transfer quinoa to a small saucepan; add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tsp lemon zest and fluff quinoa with fork. Cover and keep warm.
4. Drain chicken; discard marinade. Lightly spray a large cast-iron grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until 165 degrees F, turning once. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into ½-inch slices.
5. Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, covered, on high for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
6. Divide arugula among four serving bowls. Arrange chicken slices, quinoa, broccoli, tomatoes and cucumber on top. Garnish with chopped lemon and/or crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Drizzle with vinaigrette or additional olive oil. Sprinkle with additional lemon-pepper seasoning, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 670 calories, 42g fat, 6g saturated fat, 390mg sodium, 40g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 9g sugar, 35g protein.
Daily values: 25% potassium, 20% iron, 10% calcium.