GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — Ice dams can be a problem for everyone.

But when you rent instead of own, figuring out who is responsible for dealing with the dams can be confusing.

The potential damage would affect you - so are you, the renter, supposed to pay for ice dam damage?

According to the MN State Attorney General's Office, a landlord has to make repairs on any damage to your rental home within 14 days. 

If they fail to so, the tenant can file a complaint. If that doesn't get the job done, they can go as far as to sue the landlord under the "Tenant's Remedies Act." 

So, what if there is damage to personal property? Say the ice dam smashes onto your car or a leaky roof destroys your couch or TV. Who is responsible to replace that? 

This is when renter's insurance comes into play. Renter's insurance is the tenant's responsibility to purchase. 

RELATED: Winter home damage: What's covered?

Insurance will protect your personal property against damage or theft. Depending on the policy, it can be around $15 to $30 a month. 

Like any insurance policies, there are different coverage options for renter's insurance. 

The most common is the Broad Form, which covers damage from fire, lightning, explosion, smoke, vandalism, theft and water-related damage from property utilities.

Then, the Comprehensive Form provides coverage for a wide range of events. 

You can also purchase additional coverage if you have expensive items that you'd like to be covered by insurance. 

Don't forget - in the event of any damage, document with pictures and dated correspondence. Keeping a detailed record helps when pursuing any form of retribution for damage while living in a rental property. 

More from KARE 11 Sunrise:

Living with CP: Wis. boy raises awareness on IHOP's National Pancake Day

Sven Explains: Type D killer whales

Guess the ice-out date on Lake Minnetonka