MPD to ask for more resources after shooting

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo will make his case for increased staffing and resources on Wednesday, following another weekend plagued by gun violence downtown. Arradondo's presentation to the Minneapolis city council's public safety committee, is just one way the city is reviewing security concerns posed by the recent surge in violent crime. The city also issued a violation notice to the owner of Crave restaurant in downtown, following a Saturday shooting on the rooftop patio. Two people suffered non-critical injuries in the shooting. The notice requires the owner to provide an updated security plan explaining how it will prevent guns from entering the restaurant. KARE 11 reached out to the owner of Crave for comment, but has not yet received a response. In order to increase that presence once again, Police Chief Arradondo says he's proposing an increased budget.

New lawsuits filed two years after Minnehaha Academy explosion

Minnehaha Academy building collapse
Building explosion and collapse at Minnehaha Academy.

New accusations of carelessness and incompetence are coming out two years after the explosion at Minnehaha Academy. Five new lawsuits have been filed by Minnehaha Academy employees against CenterPoint Energy and Master Mechanical. The explosion, in August of 2017, killed two people and injured several others. The plaintiffs in these new lawsuits include the school’s president, who says she suffered a traumatic brain injury; the school soccer coach, who had to have his leg amputated; and three other employees who say they suffered concussions and PTSD. The lawsuits claim CenterPoint and Master Mechanical knew the work was “hazardous and abnormally dangerous” but “failed to inspect and close shut-off valves” upstream from the gas meter they were working on. What’s more, the suits allege when the gas began to leak, the companies’ workers “realized that explosive conditions existed” but “rather than alerting building occupants…the employees…ran to save themselves.”

Man who kidnapped Jayme Closs moved out of Wisconsin

Jake Patterson arrives in Barron County court for his sentencing May 24, 2019.
Jake Patterson arrives in Barron County court for his sentencing May 24, 2019.

A man who admitted to kidnapping Jayme Closs and killing her parents has been moved to a facility outside of Wisconsin. Twenty-two-year-old Jake Patterson is serving life without parole for the October deaths of James and Denise Closs. State records say he was moved Monday, but they do not say where. The Department of Corrections says his location is not being disclosed for his safety. It's not clear why he was transferred. Patterson held Jayme Closs captive in a remote cabin for nearly three months before she escaped in January. The criminal complaint says he saw Jayme getting on a school bus and decided "she was the girl he was going to take." Patterson pleaded guilty in March to two counts of intentional homicide and one count of kidnapping. He was sentenced in May.

WEATHER: Flash Flood Watch in effect, more storms Wednesday afternoon

7-day forecast
7-day weather forecast