GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — The holiday season is rife with time-honored traditions, like spending time with family, cooking recipes passed down for generations, and in Minnesota, naming snowplows.
That's right, the Minnesota Department of Transportation's "Name a Snowplow" contest is back once again.
For the third year, Minnesotans are invited to submit their kooky and creative winter-themed names for MnDOT's massive machinery. You can submit entries now through midnight on Dec. 16.
Here are the rules:
- You can only submit one name
- Submissions are limited to 30 characters or less
- Submissions that include profanity or other inappropriate language won't be considered
- Politically inspired names, including phrases, slogans or plays on politicians’ names, won't be considered
Once MnDOT has collected its submissions, reviewed the names and chosen its favorites, voting will open in Jan. 2023 to determine the winners.
The eight names that get the most votes will be added to a snowplow in each district across the state.
Past winning names won't be considered for this next round of friendly competition. If you need a reminder, here are the names that have won in the past two years:
- Plowy McPlowFace
- Ope, Just Gonna Plow Right Past Ya
- Duck Duck Orange Truck
- Plow Bunyan
- Snowbi Wan Kenobi
- F. Salt Fitzgerald
- Darth Blader
- The Truck Formerly Known As Plow
- Betty Whiteout
- Ctrl Salt Delete
- The Big Leplowski
- Plowasaurus Rex
- Scoop Dogg
- Blizzard of Oz
- No More Mr. Ice Guy
- Edward Blizzardhands
Watch more local news:
Watch the latest local news from the Twin Cities in our YouTube playlist: