Breaking News
More () »

Staying fit during National Nutrition Month

A Minnesota dietician gives some simple tips for staying hydrated and healthy.

GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — March is National Nutrition Month, but a dietician gave KARE 11 some tips you can use all year. 

Samantha McKinney, a registered dietician with Life Time, advised people to focus on additions instead of subtractions, adding healthy habits to your life. 

Here are some tips from McKinney: 

  1. Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water.
  2. Increase your protein – often more than you think.
  3. Focus on core supplements taken consistently before specialty/market-y ones.
  4. Follow the 80/20 rule: eat well 80% of the time and relax the other 20%. 
  5. Actually sit down when you eat so you can focus on and enjoy what you're eating. Avoid eating while driving, over the sink, or on the run. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out