Breaking News
More () »

Oakdale man charged with using deadly force against police after exchanging gunfire with officers

Shawn Fairley Codinack, 32, was charged Wednesday with three counts of first-degree use of deadly force against a peace officer.
Credit: KARE

OAKDALE, Minn. — A man was taken into custody safely Monday after police say they exchanged gunfire with him from an apartment building in Oakdale.

Shawn Fairley Codinack, 32, was charged Wednesday with three counts of first-degree use of deadly force against a peace officer, according to a BCA news release.

According to the Oakdale Police Department, officers responded to the building on the 900 block of Greenway Avenue North around 2:40 p.m. to reports of hearing gunshots.

When officers arrived, they observed a broken window on the third floor and soon began negotiations with a man, later identified as Codinack, they described as being "in crisis" inside the unit.

As Woodbury police and Washington County Sheriff's deputies responded to the scene to assist, authorities say Codinack started shooting a handgun at officers out the window. Officers fired back, but say no one was struck or injured.

Later, Codinack allegedly tried to jump from the window, but officers were able to de-escalate the situation and take him into custody.

Police say Codinack was taken to a local hospital to be treated for cuts to his hands and feet. 

The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), which has been tasked with leading the ongoing investigation, identified the officers involved in the incident Wednesday evening. They include officer Robert Boleen and Sgt. Omar Maklad of the Woodbury Police Department; deputy Randy Helms from the Washington County Sheriff's Office; and officer Kevin Merkling of the Oakdale Police Department. They have been in law enforcement for six, 18, 12 and 17 years, respectively.

The BCA says Boleen discharged a less lethal form of ammunition, while the other officers discharged their firearms.

Tartan High School officials said the incident caused some students and staff to shelter inside the building after school was dismissed.

Officials say students and staff were allowed to leave using safety measures just before 5 p.m.

In a statement sent to KARE 11 Monday afternoon, officials said Oakdale Elementary was also affected.

"There was an incident at a residence near Tartan High School during afternoon dismissal. The Tartan students who ride buses left safely on the buses. Any remaining Tartan students and staff were brought inside until approximately 4:50 pm when they were allowed to leave using safety measures in place. Oakdale Elementary was also affected and their dismissal was delayed for approximately 45 minutes."