CASTLE ROCK TOWNSHIP, Minn. - The Dakota County Sheriff's Department warned residents in Castle Rock Township to "stay inside" Wednesday evening after a chemical leak from a tractor that was hauling anhydrous ammonia.
The leak created a cloud of gas and the tractor's driver kept driving to stay ahead of the cloud.
The Dakota County Sheriff said there was a puncture in a hose that was hooked up to the tank of anhydrous ammonia.
Deputies say the leak was fixed and the "all clear" was given before 10 p.m. Wednesday.
The tractor's driver was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
The sheriff says in total, 83 homes and businesses in a half-mile radius received robocalls from the sheriff's department telling them to shelter in place until the cloud dissipated.
Anhydrous ammonia is a colorless gas with pungent, suffocating fumes, and is used as an agricultural fertilizer and industrial refrigerant. When handled improperly, anhydrous ammonia can be dangerous.