ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Police are applauding the actions of a St. Paul biker, who chased and captured a fleeing stabbing suspect.

Jerry Daye swung into action Sunday before he even knew anything about the circumstances of the crime.

"I heard a really blood curdling scream, it was really loud," Daye told KARE. "People out in front of the Cathedral were all looking down like something had happened, something bad had happened."

What Daye didn't know is that the scream came from a domestic assault victim, who had been stabbed in the arm inside her SUV on Marshall Avenue near St. Paul College.

Another Good Samaritan, a nurse who was out for a walk with her husband, jumped into the vehicle and gave the victim emergency first aid until the ambulance arrived.

The nurse's husband flagged down Jerry, as he was riding his motorcycle down Summit Avenue with three friends. Jerry broke formation to ask the frantic man what was happening.

"He just kept pointing to the guy who was running down the street, saying, 'He did it! He did it! It was him'!"

Daye still didn't know what crime had been committed, but he gave chase, popping over a curb and down a grassy hillside onto Old Kellogg St., surprising the suspect.

"I went over that hill pretty fast, because whatever had happened I knew it was bad," Daye remarked.

He said the man, later identified as Jason Wesley Sanford, was trying to stick a bag through a storm sewer grate, but jumped up and ran when Daye approached on his motorcycle.

"I kept asking him what he had done, and he kept saying, 'Nothing, I didn't do nothing.' and he kept walking away from me."

Daye said when Sanford suddenly spun around toward him he tackled him to the ground and put him into a full nelson wrestling hold. He walked him back to the sewer grate.

By then the nurse's husband had caught up to them, and picked up the bag Sanford had apparently left at the grate.

"It had a big chef's knife it!" said Daye, "At that point I just held on tighter to him and wouldn't let him up until the police officer arrived."

Daye's fellow motorcycle riders, part of a larger group of riders who dub themselves "The Good Guys Scooter Life," had found him.

"He was sitting on this guy, had him in a full Nelson, and just said, 'What's up?' as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened!" Ciriphone Mongkone of St. Paul told KARE.

By the time Daye and his fellow bikers learned there had been a stabbing, the EMT's had already rushed the victim to Regions Hospital to repair a severed artery in her upper right arm.

"We didn't know where she was or what had happened to her, or if she was even alright," Mongkone explained.

On Tuesday they learned through the St. Paul Police that they were going to have an opportunity to meet the victim, R.P., because she wanted to thank them.

She was not feeling well enough to do an interview, but she agreed to let KARE record her interaction with the Good Samaritan Daye and his fellow bikers.

"I just want to thank you so much for helping me," R.P. told them. " I mean, for real. Thank you guys. It's crazy, never imagined something like that would happen to me."

R.P. told them she'd been with Sanford on and off for nearly 13 years, and that he had made life hard for her at times, but she never expected an attack like this.

According to the Ramsey County Criminal Complaint against Sanford he has five past convictions that fall into the general category of domestic abuse, including a 2012 assault against R.P. that landed her in the hospital and resulted in jail time for him.

"I just want you to know I appreciate, everything, everything, and I also hope to meet that lady who was there to stop my bleeding and her husband," R.P. said.

"She jumped in my truck like Mario Andretti! She was like, 'Come on! We've get to this arm! We've got to get this shirt off'!"

Sgt. Mike Ernster, a St. Paul Police Dept. spokesperson, said it's very rare when citizens are able to save a victim, grab a suspect and recover a weapon before officers arrive at the scene.

"In this day and age people are so willing to pick up a phone and videotape something, but they’re not willing to interact or get involved," Sgt. Ernster said.

"The best part in this situation here is these people chose to act, and it made a difference in this case."

Daye said he just did what his instincts told him to do, and the best thing about the entire episode is that the victim survived.

"I'm just so relieved that she's going to be okay!" Daye said.