DETROIT - In a rare mid-season move, the Minnesota Twins announced Thursday afternoon that they have optioned infielder Miguel Sanó to Single-A Fort Myers.

Sanó, who did not play in the Twins 3-1 loss to the Tigers on Thursday, is hitting only .203 in 37 games with Minnesota so far this season. He was 0 for 4 in Wednesday night's loss, and has only 4 hits in his last 27 at bats, in which he has tallied 12 strikeouts.

"We're going to get him down there and give him the opportunity to get things back on track," Twins manager Paul Molitor told FOX Sports North after Thursday's loss.

Molitor said the facilities and coaches in Fort Myers are what Sanó needs to help get him back on that track.

"He's an important part of what we feel we will be eventually," Molitor said. "He's not there right now, and we have to take a step backwards here."

In addition to the Sanó move, the Twins also optioned outfielder Jake Cave to Triple-A Rochester. Cave was brought up to the big league club last week. In three games with the Twins, he was 3 for 10 with 1 home run and 3 RBI.