GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Since opening three years ago, 6Smith’s weekly brunch has steadily grown in popularity not only because of its incredible views of Lake Minnetonka, but for its scratch kitchen, and decadent takes on classic dishes like Biscuits & Gravy.
On his latest visit to KARE 11, Chef Angel Luna offered up tips on how to make 6Smith’s popular Biscuits & Gravy, made with house-made pork sausage and just a subtle bit of kick.
To learn more about 6Smith’s Saturday and Sunday brunch menu, or to make reservations, visit: www.6Smith.com, or call: 952-284-6700.
6Smith Biscuits & Gravy
(Makes approx. 1 dozen biscuits)
2 C Flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Baking soda
¼ lb. Butter
¾ C Buttermilk
• Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda
• Cut butter into small cubes and work into the flour BY HAND until it resembles coarse cornmeal
• Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the buttermilk
• Mix in buttermilk until just incorporated. Do not over work the dough.
• Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
• Make 4 oz balls. Make sure not the work them too much
• Let them proof
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
1 lb. Ground Pork
1½ tsp Dry Sage
½ tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Garlic Powder
1½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Chili Flakes
1 lb. Pork Sausage
6 T Butter
1 C Flour
3 C Whole Milk
¾ C Chicken Stock
¾ tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
½ tsp Lemon Juice
1. Combine all 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix evenly.
1. Brown pork sausage in a large skillet.
2. Add butter and flour and cook the roux for 5 minutes on medium heat while stirring
3. Add milk and stock and whisk until the gravy thickens
Add hot sauce and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle approx. 1 cup Sausage Gravy over fresh, warm biscuits and serve immediately.