SAINT PAUL, Minn. — There's a new Restaurant in the Macalester Groveland Neighborhood in Saint Paul that's serving up southern European inspired food from places like Spain, Italy and Portugal.
- 2 each garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 each shallot , minced
- 2 Tbls Red peppers, minced
- 1 tsp fresno peppers , minced
- 1 Tbls tomato paste
- 3 each saffron threads
- 2 Tbls smoked hammock or diced smokey bacon(cooked)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 16 manila clams
- 12 shrimp, peeled
- 12 oz par cooked to al dente vermicelli noodles
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp chopped tarragon
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp minced chives
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sweet pimenton or paprika
- Toast vermicelli noodles on a baking sheet at 350 degrees in the oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Par cook the noodles in boiling salted water until very al dente. Not cooked through. Strain, toss noodles in olive oil and cool down to room temperature.
- In a large dutch oven with olive oil sweat shallots, garlic, peppers, fresnos on medium low heat until tender.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add saffron , white wine, and hammock(or bacon) and cook until almost all the wine has reduced.
- Turn heat to medium high and add chicken stock, clams and shrimp. Bring to a strong simmer and cook clams until they open and the shrimp until they are cooked through but not tough. Remove pot from heat. The noodles should have a little broth but not be soupy.
- Add all the herbs. Lemon juice, butter, and more salt to taste if needed.
- Plate the noodles, clams, and shrimp in 4 bowls and garnish with a dollop of mayonnaise and a sprinkle of Pimenton or paprika.
- Enjoy with a fork, spoon and a side dish for the finished clam shells.
MORE FOOD: North Loop's Graze rides food hall craze
MORE FOOD: RECIPE: Love That Olive Power Salad